Film requirements

Below are the technical and other requirements for films to be entered in Dubbo’s One Eye Film Festival (it’s never too early to start thinking about your entry!!) These specs will normally meet the requirements of other film submission sites and events but it is always a good idea to read the fine print. Also, check the requirement for film length and this often varies.

For specific information on how to enter the annual Dubbo One Eye Film Festival, including upload instructions, look for the annual entry form.

smartphone-407108_640Output requirements

Output your film in one of these video formats:
H.264 or MPEG2.
Use the appropriate output settings shown below.


Frame size: 720h x 576v (1.0940)
Frame rate: 25.00 frames/second
Audio Settings/Sample rate: 48000 samples/second

HD 1080p

Frame size: 1920h x 1080v (1.0)
Frame rate: 25.00 frames/second
Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square pixels (1.0)
Fields: No Fields (Progressive Scan)
Audio Settings/Sample rate: 48000 samples/second

Other requirements

Film length

Films entered in the Dubbo One Eye Film Festival need to a maximum of 7 minutes long (there is no minimum length).

Signed release forms

You need signed release forms for:

  • any third party materials that appear in your film in which copyright and/or other applicable intellectual property may exist;
  • for all the performers who appear in your film; and
  • for anyone who contributes services to the production of the film.

This includes signed release forms for the following:

  • any underlying materials your film is based upon (e.g., if your film is based on a novel, script, etc.);
  • any individual who appears in your film (e.g., actors, extras, etc.);
  • any individual who works on the film (e.g., cinematographers, editors, costume designers, etc.)
  • any visual images that appear in your film (e.g., paintings, posters, photographs,
  • any audio-­‐visual works that appear in your film (e.g., pre-­‐existing films, videos, television programs, etc.); and any music compositions or sound recordings that appear in your film.

For a typical short film, ALL contributors must sign a Release Form.

Written permission for all music in your film

If you choose to use published music you will need permission in the form of a license agreement to do so. To obtain the necessary clearances to use existing music, contact the copyright owner/s of your chosen track/s and request a license agreement to use their music and/or sound. For help with this process, please contact AMCOS ( on 1300 852 388. They can assist you in tracking down copyright owners and requesting licence agreements.

If you use music with a Creative Commons licence or from a stock library, you must comply with the requirements of the licence.

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

Can I use my iPhone, Samsung or other smartphone record my film?

Sure, as long as you meet the technical specifications above. You don’t need special equipment to make films.

Need help?

Dubbo Filmmakers is a very supportive group. Contact us or join the Facebook group (links at the top right of this page) to ask your questions or to get help.

You don’t need to work it out alone…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *